Friday 5 October 2007

My dying tongues

My sis asked me to help her out with a letter the other day. Sent her a few suggestions, after which she txted back saying "It has to be in Malay, not English". I thought to myself, just translate the bloody thing. Then ... i tried to do it myself. Bugger. There was no way I could come up with any direct translations for some words, let alone a whole phrase (without sounding like someone from elementary school anyway). I always knew my command of Malay was in decline ... but to this extent?

A little background info here: When I went to school in Malaysia (through the public education system), every subject in school was taught in Malay (except other languages, like English, duh!). From the age of 7 right up to 17. I spoke to my teachers in Malay, gave speeches in Malay, learnt classic Malay prose .. hell, I was even in the school's Malay debate team (and the English one as well). I speak English at home by the way.

Outside of school though, most people use colloquial Malay ... not the type you use in the classroom. This I can still speak, though it takes a while to come up with the right words sometimes. Useless when you need to write a letter though.

Why has my Malay become so bad? Simple. I don't use it anymore. Even in Malaysia after high school, I only ever needed to use colloquial Malay to get around.

The same thing has happened with my Cantonese. This I was never taught, but picked it up cos all my friends in school spoke it while I was growing up. I can still understand it, but again, thinking of the words takes a while. Again, the decline started after high school. Made new friends in KL, all of whom spoke English (rarely the case in smaller towns like the one I grew up in). Obviously used it even less in NZ (unless you get me really drunk ... the words seem to come out easier then).

At least my command of Punjabi has constantly stayed the same - abysmal! I can still only name types of food, numbers up to 15, family designations, simple verbs and certain household items. The food is very important :D

1 comment:

Sarb Johal said...

I totally identify. My unjabi is shocking now through lack of use. Makes me want to move to Auckland or further afeild even so that my contact doesn't completely die!

Have good holidays by the way :)

Sarb